Monday, July 6, 2009

Boston, you know we love you madly

Ah, Boston. What a beautiful city. Arrived here yesterday afternoon, after a 4 hour train trip through Connecticut and Rhode Island. And if my first husband is coming from the Upper East Side, my second husband is coming from a house along the waterfront somewhere in New England. Seriously, what an amazing area - we just don't have houses like that back home.
So when I got to Boston, it was nice and warm, so I thought I'd take a stroll around and complete my brother's errands. Unfortunately, I left New York with a bit of a tummy bug (don't worry, I won't go into details) so my time here so far hasn't been too exciting.
First off, I discovered my hostel is right next to this campus:

The Berklee College of Music! With the famous drop-out that is John Mayer, I was very excited. Actually, yesterday was a very Mayer-day, with the train going through his hometown.
Next up was number one of Josh's errands - McGreevys.

I didn't stay too long here, because the girl behind the bar made me feel like I was speaking another language (this feeling is becoming more and more familiar - how on earth do Americans understand Flight of the Conchords, but not me?!?). Next up I went to Fenway Park - no pictures, because as I got there a tide of Red Sox fans were leaving after they had just lost.
Obviously yesterday was 4th July, so last night I went to Harvard Bridge (aka Massachusetts Ave) to watch the fireworks. I didn't get any photos of the fireworks, but Boston looked really nice at dusk:

This morning I went to Mass (good girl aye Mum!) at a church just across from the hostel. It was so weird - I didn't know any of the songs, but all the parts of the mass that I knew the words to, I still couldn't do, because all the American accents around me kept putting me off, and they all pause at different parts! Oh well, it was better than the Mass in New Caledonia.

Then this afternoon I went to the Museum of Fine Arts. What a great museum - not as good as the Met, but definitely still worth the visit. Apparently every museum here has to have a figure on a horse outside:

And the Impressionist section was my favourite here. There were none from the Monet exhibit at Te Papa (this is the Museum most of them came from, but I think they are still touring). And I don't think I gave any other paintings a chance - my favourite was the Renoir girl, aka Dance at Bougival, of course because of Gilmore Girls.


Tomorrow I'm going to head to Harvard, and if I don't stay all day there, I'll go have a look at some of the Freedom Trail - probably not the whole thing though.

3 comments:

  1. Did she flinch???

    Haha.

    Wow it looks like a stunning place, and here I thought all it was good for was boy bands. *cough*

    Might have to add that to the list!

    Hope you're feeling better. Stay away from orange cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha...that SO reminded me of when we were last in the states. I couldn't believe that they didn't know what I was saying and reinforced the understanding that actually - english may be a common language but we sure don't speak it the same!
    I think I even started to enunicate more and more and may have even resorted to spelling things out - don't think I ever had to actually write anything done though :o)

    ps how many husbands are you gunning for??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni - I have started spelling some things out! And started mimicking some words - this seems to help!
    And, I'm going for as many husbands as necessary for me to live the life I would like to become accustomed to!

    ReplyDelete