Thursday, July 16, 2009

i'm sorry i ruined your black panther party

Finally made it to Washington DC after a few train troubles - the trouble being there was no train. There was a freight train derailment somewhere in Alabama, so our train couldn't get through. Eventually they sorted some buses to get us from Atlanta northwards (it really is true what they say about southerners moving more slowly), and it actually worked out better, because the people on our bus were all going to Washington, so we didn't have to stop everywhere. And I think stopping at a truckstop in North Carolina has been the highlight of my trip. I got all ya'll a truckers tshirt, I thought you'd like that.
Anyway, arrived in DC at 8:30 this morning, and got straight into the sightseeing. So here are some pictures of me in front of some sites in Washington. Because that really is all you come to Washington for. That and to quote Forrest Gump. And you only need half a day.
The Obama residence.
The reflecting pool.
Then I walked all the way up the Mall (which is a lot longer than I thought) and visited the National Archives. There was a line to get in (see, records ARE cool), because they've got some pretty major stuff in there.
There was a little thing called the Magna Carta...

They've also got the big three - the Decaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They're all on display, but I didn't spend much time battling my way through to see them - since they aren't really pertinent to me, I thought I'd let the Americans stand there and debate the meanings.
That's it for Washington DC, I leave for Philly in the morning (cue Fresh Prince theme song).
One thing about Washington - all the women who work around here dress so well - they put Lambton Quay women to shame, that's for sure!
And...if you are waiting for a postcard from me, wait no longer. Because I haven't sent any. I've bought heaps, some of them I've even written witty little notes that would've inevitably been an anti-climax, but then...nothing. I either don't have them with me when I walk past a post office, or I do, but don't notice the post office. So consider this blog a personal postcard to you - wish you were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment