Saturday, July 4, 2009

imagine all the people living for today

Day 2 in New York was spent getting blisters on my feet walking around Central Park. It was a beautiful day though (but a thunderstorm is meant to be coming), and so it was nice to be out in the fresh air.


First stop was the Dakota building where John Lennon was shot, and the Strawberry Fields memorial across the road in the park. There was a guy there singing Beatles songs, a kid placed a guitar pick on the mosaic, and there were heaps of people taking photos.


Next up was the Museum of Natural History. Apart from the "ooo I saw that in Night at the Museum" factor, I didn't think it was that great. Just a bunch of stuffed animals. If they were alive, now that would be cool. But I did like the statue of Theodore Roosevelt out the front!


After that I walked across the park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Also known as my new favourite place in the world. I sat on the steps for a while (like a good Gossip Girl fan should) and watched life on 5th Avenue. The buildings around that area are amazing, so I know where my first husband is coming from. I walked around the museum for ages, my favourite section was definitely the Greek and Roman Art collection - they actually hold a few Greek vases we had to study in 7th form there, so it was cool to see them in real life.

And finally, I walked back to the Subway through the Park (east to west), and had a look at the Alice in Wonderland statue (pretty neat) and a few other things, including the fountain where the Friends opening credits are set!
So that's it for my first part of New York - I'll be back here in 2 weeks after the railroad journey. 4th of July tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Love the little alice in wonderland - bit like rosie in wonderland!! You should have got your photo taken on it. Good to see you recognised some of those vases!!

    ReplyDelete