Wednesday, July 15, 2009

find a high on peachtree street

Since the last blog, which was meant to be the end of New Orleans, I was coerced into heading into Bourbon Street by the guys in the hostel. I was honestly the only young girl in the hostel, and they promised to look after me (I was worried, because the hostel was a streetcar ride away from the Quarter), and so off we went. Bourbon Street at night is craaaazy - total debauchery! I think this photo sums up the whole place:
(The guy in the photo was one of the Aussies from the hostel, whose name I don't think I ever caught.) I didn't actually drink much, because I had a train to catch at 7am, and I wanted to make sure I could look after myself in a strange town!
Next up was Atlanta (where I am now). And, to be honest, I'm not that impressed. For a city with so much history, it is just a bland town with boring buildings. I wish I'd only had one night here, and then I would be in Washington by now.
But anyway, first stop was paying homage to my favourite book. Here is where Margaret Mitchell sat and wrote the whole 62 chapters of Gone With The Wind:
I took a tour around the place, which was actually quite good - her apartment was super small, and there were no original furnishings, but I still enjoyed it. And they had a whole section dedicated to the movie, including this set piece:
Which is the painting Rhett threw a tumbler of whiskey at (couldn't see any marks on it though).
And that was about it. I walked back up Peachtree Street - I probably could be catching public transport everywhere, but I like walking, and it lets you see a bit more. Although, in Atlanta, it's the first time I've felt uncomfortable being by myself - and in broad daylight! Which is another reason I wish I had left yesterday.
Anyway, next up was my other pilgrimage - the holy site that is the World of Coca Cola. You can't really expect much other than one huge advertisement for the drink, but I did enjoy looking around - they have a bottling facility which was cool to watch.
And at the end of the tour, there is a room where you can sample 63 different types of drinks that Coca Cola produces all around the world. It made me feel a bit sick after about 25, because of all the bubbles and different flavours. And after that, you get a commemorative bottle of coke. Awww.
Right next door to the Coke place is the Georgia Aquarium aka the biggest waste of money. I love aquariums, but this one I felt like I spent more time looking at video screens and walking through corridors. And when you get to viewing windows, they are super small. And the tunnel through the biggest tank is only about 10 metres long.
But there were Beluga whales, which were really beautiful:

That was it for yesterday - I was back at the hostel quite early, because I didn't want to be walking around too late in the day.
Today I'm feeling a wee bit tired, so I'm going to go watch a movie somewhere before I leave for Washington at 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment