Sunday, July 12, 2009

six feet of water in the streets of evangeline

Again I'm behind on blogging, as was pointed out to me - it seems ya'll are liking the blog!
Day two in Chicago was spent wandering around the town. I went up the Sears tower, the tallest building in the US. I spent about an hour in line, and then spent about 10 minutes up the top, haha.

They have these freaky ledge things completely made of glass - different from the Sky Tower's glass floor, because these ones literally stick out over the edge of the building.
Then I kept walking around - it was super hot, so it was nice to be outside. I visited Buckingham Fountain, which was cool - heaps of water!
Next up was the 20 hour train trip from Chicago to New Orleans. Thanks to mum and dad, I had a sleeper car for this trip! It was awesome - I had the best sleep, and no crazies!
And I got to the hostel, and there are 2 guys from Taradale here - they went to school with Matt and Josh, which is totally crazy. All the way to New Orleans, and I can't get away from home.
Today I caught the streetcar into the French Quarter (which was cool in itself). First stop was St Louis Cathedral, apparently the oldest Cathedral in the US. I know I said the church in Boston was cool, well this one was fantastic. Us Catholics sure know how to decorate a church, that's for sure.
Then I walked around the French Quarter, and through the French Market. It is so cool around there. New Orleans is totally unique - NY, Boston and Chicago are almost interchangable, but New Orleans is pretty amazing. There's really one word to describe it - sultry. No wonder Rhett brought Scarlett here for their honeymoon. I only hope it was not during summertime, because it was stinking hot. It's crazy, there were just people walking around drinking cocktails at 10am!
I walked down along the Mississippi river:
And then this afternoon, I took a steamboat cruise down the Mississippi, which was really cool:
I actually took heaps of photos around New Orleans today, but they are mostly of buildings - who knew I was such an architecture fan?!? The wrought iron railings on the balconies around here are so pretty.
I have a 7am train to Atlanta tomorrow morning, and will be travelling all day.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the pix!! Who are you getting to take them?? Hurry up - time to put more on. (now you know what it's like trying to keep everyone "blog-satisfied".
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad I wasnt home while you were in Chicago - I would have taken you around and showed you some MUCH cooler things that would have set it FAR, far apart from NY and Boston! Chicago is VERY unique, you just have to know where to go and what to look at! Maybe next time :):)

    ReplyDelete